Please call us at (239) 561-3838 for hours and/or appointment in Fort Myers!
Edison Square Chiropractic Clinic provides express Department of Transportation (DOT) Physical exams for any commercial drivers from anywhere in the United States.
DOT exam is performed by a certified FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) Medical Examiner in a professional, comfortable and clean facility.
Do I need to schedule an appointment for a DOT exam?
- Our office is often open late and walk-ins are welcome. However, appointments are appreciated.
- Our office is conveniently located at the intersection of Colonial Blvd & Fowler Street in Fort Myers with plenty of parking. Please call ahead on a recommendation for 18 wheelers.
Why do I need a valid DOT medical card?
- Florida law requires all CDL drivers to have a valid DOT medical card, unless the type of commerce you drive qualifies as ‘Excepted’. Drivers certifying in non-excepted interstate or intrastate commerce (Category A or C) must ensure their medical documentation is on file with the state issuing agency and that it remains current.
How often do I have to get a DOT exam?
- DOT medical cards are typically issued for 2 years. However, you may be certified for less than 2 years if the medical examiner determines that more frequent monitoring of your health is required. Reasons for more frequent monitoring will be discussed during your exam.
What documents do I need to bring to the exam?
- Picture Identification.
- List of any medications.
- Prescription glasses or contacts if needed.
What should I do on the day of the exam?
- Get plenty of rest.
- Absolutely NO CAFFEINE! Avoid foods and beverages with caffeine, sodium or carbohydrates/sugar at least 8 hrs prior.
- Take any medications as you normally would.
- Drink plenty of water as you normally should.
- Bring glasses/contacts to examination.
- Color Vision should be pre-tested to assure success.
- Distant Vision should be pre-tested to assure success.
Blood pressure testing
- Blood Pressure should be pre-tested by your private physician to assure success.
Values below 140/90 are required for a 2 year certification.
- Readings above 159/99 only qualify for a 3 month temporary certification so that the proper care can be received to bring it down to normal levels.
- Most blood pressure medications are approved.
- Can you hear a soft voice at 5 feet? If not, get a hearing evaluation from a private physician to establish the loss and the need for a hearing amplification.
- Most drivers with minor hearing loss are permitted to use a hearing aid as "amplification".
Doctor visits since your last DOT medical examination
- If you have been to the doctor for anything other than routine check-ups or general counseling, you should bring documentation to the DOT examination. In many cases additional information from your specialist is required.
Alcohol & Substance Issues
- Alcohol and Substance Issues require extensive paperwork. Call us prior to your exam if you have questions.
Surgeries, procedures, new conditions or medications
- If your medications or medical condition has changed since your last exam, you should bring documentation to your DOT examination.
Conditions which require Special Issuance / Waiver
- If you have a condition which has or will require Special Issuance, you should obtain DOT documentation of pre-approval through FMCSA.
Vitamins, herbal preparations and food supplements
- Some herbal preparations can jeopardize your DOT medical examination.
Not sure about lab work or other examination requirements?
- All parameters evaluated during an DOT examination can be pre-tested privately to assure compliance.
How long does it take to get the results?
- We can provide the results for your DOT exam on the same day and you can walk out with your certification immediately afterward. More complicated health issues may require additional time.
Call today at (239) 561-3838 for more information and to schedule your express DOT exam.