If you've been suffering from sharp, sudden back pain, there could be a variety of causes. However, it can be difficult to determine the cause of your back pain or effectively treat it without help from a professional chiropractor. For acute and chronic back pain that won't go away, it could be caused by sciatic nerve pain, also known as sciatica.
At Edison Square Chiropractic Clinic in Fort Myers, FL, we want to help you find relief from sciatic nerve pain and sciatica. We'll work with you to find the cause of your sciatica, if there are other causes for your pain, and determine which treatment plan is best for you.
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a condition caused by the compression of the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is the nerve that runs from the lower back down each side of the outer leg. This sciatic nerve can become compressed due to a variety of reasons. Causes of sciatica include:
- Herniated or bulging discs, which cause fluid to seep out of the disc and irritate the sciatic nerve
- Pinched sciatic nerve due to twisting or bending the wrong way
- Spinal stenosis, a condition where nerves within the spine are compressed due to spinal narrowing
What are the Symptoms of Sciatica?
Sciatica causes a variety of symptoms, including:
- Lower back pain
- Pain radiating down the outer legs
- Numbness in the lower extremities
- Tingling in the lower extremities
- Sharp pain that comes on suddenly
- Pain when twisting, sitting, or standing
How Can a Chiropractor Help My Sciatic Nerve Pain?
Our chiropractor will conduct a full physical exam to determine if your back pain is due to a compressed sciatic nerve or due to another ailment such as muscle strains or sprains. Sciatica can also mimic other symptoms of muscle pain.
Our chiropractor will proceed to determine the best treatment for your sciatica, which can include:
- Spinal decompression to alleviate compressed sciatic nerve pain by gently pulling apart the spine
- Spinal adjustments to re-align the spine and stop compression of the sciatic nerve
- Massage therapy and muscle stretches to alleviate inflammation of the lower back
These are just some of the many treatments your chiropractor will conduct to help alleviate sciatica and prevent symptoms from returning.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor in Fort Myers, FL
At Edison Square Chiropractic Clinic in Fort Myers, FL, we'll provide high-quality chiropractic care to help you find relief from sciatica! Call us today to schedule an appointment at (239) 561-3838.