As with many conditions, education is the first step towards finding relief. Our team at Edison Square Chiropractic Clinic serving Fort Myers, FL, knows the answers to frequently asked questions about sciatica to help you find the right treatment.
What is sciatica?
Sciatica a term used to describe the symptoms associated with the sciatic nerve. It typically occurs when the nerve traveling from the lower back to the legs becomes irritated or compressed by conditions like disc herniation.
What are the common symptoms of sciatica pain?
Radicular pain traveling along the lower back and into the legs is the hallmark symptom of sciatica. The pain originates from the lower back and travels down to your legs through the buttocks. The other common symptoms can include:
- Tingling and numbness in one of your legs
- Symptoms felt on one side of the body
If you experience any of the above symptoms, book an appointment with a chiropractor on our team. Chiropractic care can help improve your symptoms for a better quality of life.
What are the risk factors for sciatica?
While many people are at risk of sciatica, certain factors can increase the chances of developing the condition. These factors can include:
- Inactive life
- An occupation that involves heavy lifting and prolonged sitting
How does a chiropractor treat sciatica?
Before devising any treatment, a chiropractor on our team starts with a diagnosis. We look at your medical history and ask about your symptoms. We administer physical exams and, if necessary, order diagnostic imaging to establish the location and extent of nerve impingement.
After a proper diagnosis, chiropractic treatment may involve:
- Spinal manipulation: This treatment aligns your spinal joints, which lifts pressure off the nerve. Besides, this technique can help trigger your body’s self-healing mechanism, helping to provide whole-body wellness.
- Gonstead technique: Adjustments can help to restore balance to your body to reduce pain and restore mobility.
- Massage therapy: This treatment soothes your soft tissues to reduce pain.
- Corrective exercises: Stretching exercises strengthen your core muscles to prevent future injuries. However, when stretching, be gentle because overexertion may trigger pain.
Visit Us for Chiropractic Care to Help Sciatic Nerve Pain
Are you troubled by sciatic nerve pain? You don’t have to live in pain. Instead, book an appointment with Edison Square Chiropractic Clinic for treatment. We serve numerous areas, including Fort Myers, FL and its environs. Call us at (239) 561-3838.